On May 18th, New LIRR schedules went into effect, adding service on multiple lines. The most significant of these improvements is the extension of regular hourly weekend trains to Patchogue. Previously, Patchogue received hourly weekend service only during the summer months.
This service change was announced months ago.
A new AM express train will stop at St. Albans in Queens, and a new AM train from Port Jefferson to Long Island City have been added to the schedule. Expanded summer service on the Montauk Branch has also begun.
Eight weekend trains to/from Patchogue that had run from May to October will be extended to run year-round. With the addition of these trains, the LIRR is for the first time providing year-round, hourly weekend service as far east as Patchogue, the farthest east that the railroad has ever provided that level of weekend service. The additional trains allow customers to connect at Jamaica or Babylon for continuing service to Penn Station or Atlantic Terminal, Brooklyn.
The 7:01 a.m. seasonal Monday departure from Montauk will now stop at Patchogue at 8:36 a.m. en route to Hunterspoint Avenue.
St. Albans, Queens
Rush-hour customers at St. Albans, Queens, who previously had a 70-minute gap between Manhattan-bound trains, will have that gap filled by a new express train to Penn Station. The train will stop at St. Albans at 6:42 a.m. and run non-stop to Penn Station, arriving at 7:08 a.m. (This train will originate at 6:13 a.m. at Massapequa Park.)
Long Island City
Morning rush hour service to the LIRR’s terminal at Long Island City, Queens, is improving with the addition of a new 7:51 a.m. arrival that closes the prior 33 minute gap in service. This train will originate at Port Jefferson at 5:59 a.m. and make all stops to Greenlawn before running express to Mineola at 7:06 a.m., Jamaica at 7:20 a.m., and Hunterspoint Avenue at 7:41 a.m. before terminating at Long Island City.
Summer service enhancements to the East End of Long Island partially resumed on May 2 with the resumption of weekend service to Greenport and an early-morning round trip to Montauk. On May 21, full summer service resumes with:
- An additional Thursday evening train from Penn Station to Montauk
- Friday getaway trains include three additional seasonal trains to Montauk, including the famed Cannonball, and one additional train to Greenport.
- Additional weekday trains to and from Speonk.
- Weekend beach trains to Freeport, with bus connections to Jones Beach.
- An additional weekend round trip to Long Beach.
- Five additional trains from Montauk and the Hamptons on Sundays, including the recently established westbound Cannonball
- One additional westbound train on Monday mornings from Montauk to Hunterspoint Avenue.
There’s more to come. In September, LIRR will also add two weekend trains to the Oyster Bay Branch.